I wanted to give an update for my readers today. We have been working extensively on the GPS data and how we could use it for location information. The code has been written to fix make sure the Checksum on the gps is correct and will not give location of the robot with out a fix. Furthermore, the Cape for the Beagle Bone Black is underway and along with the first parts for the robot are being printed as you read this. Chart and time lines will need to be fixed.
Hello Blog readers, I writing today to talk about our work from this week and a few thing from last week. This week was momentous for Incurve, The GPS is streaming Degrees, min, sec, and I will be able to convert them shortly. for use in the navigation and the control law. Also, the decoders are now interfaced with the code and the encoders. the necessary conversation will need to be made. Furthermore, the motors were tested. Lastly, the block diagrams have been worked on and the flow chart is underway. More updates are coming soon.
2-24-16 Daniel S. Cohen | Incurve Robotics DTL
Hello all, today I want to share the work done about the gps and other subsystem
Firstly, I wrote code for the gps and should be able to read NEAM sentences. We will test with NARWALS gps. They did not help much so they probably wont get my code. The new power system is working and should make the BBB independent of the computer. We will test this asap. I am not a huge fan of eagle cad but we do what gets the job done. In the old day of Incurve we use to say " we are working on it", that motto still rings true. The main Control code has been cleaned up to the PWM work could be added and the pin and port numbers could be clarified for a cape to be make and the block diagram to make sure we will have all the parts and wire it all right. The flowchart of the code will have to be a group project so everyone can learn how it is going to work.
2-20-16 Daniel S. Cohen | Incurve Robotics DTL
Woke up early to down load MPLABX to use a MICROCHIP Tech. Inc. PICKIT 3 In-circuit debugger and programmer so a decoder could be coded for using a PIC. When in doubt Microchip out. I know, bad jokes but who is really reading this anyway. # ERAU #Detail Design # LONG LIVE INCURVE
The first thing will be to find the latest version of MPLABX, Thankful, I worked at mchp as a intern and the answer to the question is easy.
1) Just go to www.microchip.com/mplabx for the record its free and they have it for windows(x86/x64) Linux (same) and Mac(10.X)
2) Execute the file and you will get a set up window. At this point you should click Next>
Then agree to the term and conditions after you read them then Next> should be in the window C:\Program Files (x86)\Microchip\MPLABX\v3.25 then Next> after both are clicked.
then Next> then it will Install. This is the point were you can grab that coffee in the brake room. Mmmm coffee and code. Its the PB&J of engineering.
3) In the mean time, find your MPLABX poster that you get with the PICKIT 3. This will have more step my step instructions for wiring up to a target board. Thankfully the, it uses standard headers to save time and money.
4) when its done it will open in your browser three new links, 1) http://www.microchip.com/mplab/mplab-code-configurator
I recommend reading these because it will be the fastest way to starting your project.
Although I was taught on ATMEL chips, I think MCHP is the way to go. Just look at the stock.
Ok next step...
5) At minimum read the MPLAB Code Config Features. This will give you a taste of what they Programming Environment will be like. Or lets Let Mr. Kevin Rochford tell you now.
"It was quite easy. You could graphically see what you wanted to do and then go in and decide how you wanted to set things up and it took care of all the details."
- Kevin Rochford, Senior Principal Engineer, Autoliv
The next step is to read your poster for the PICKIT 3. Find the proper wires, headers and Passive components. to wire to a PIC controller. Then start with a hello world to a LED by toggling the bits.
2-19-16 Daniel S. Cohen
I finished the basic code for the controller, I will need to add more functionality soon but the next step is the decoders for the encoders from the motors. We will have to wire up the motors. The main EE goal for the next week is to get the BBB independent of computer power or the wall. The encoders were tested to make sure they would produce a 256 bit signal. ;).
Peripheral Power Regulator is designed, prototyped and tested under expected normal conditions. PCB is laid out except for the IC (which needs to be added as a custom component an) then can be fabricated.
Worked on updated CAD drawings for the pendulum to incorporate a battery holder and mount points for breakout boards.
Initial GPS breakout board designed, still being worked on.
Updated Gant chart to reflect progress to date.
Mounted headers, achieved low level communications and control of IMU via I2C from Beagle Bone Black. Video of Euler angle (RPY) from sensor fusion below. Need to set units and sensitivities for sensors appropriate for project needs and also generate PRU code to run.
Worked on system integration
BNo055 outputs quaterion and Euler angles. need to work on the control sytem. the basics are there but the system integration of the new sensor will be one of the next major thing.
Worked on the new CAD drawings for the pendulum after the problems with the first print of the internal pendulum.
Peripheral Power Regulator breakout board re-designed ( using NCV4266), needs to be checked and fabricated.
Initial GPS breakout board designed, still being worked on and considering getting a breakout board and mounting the GPS chip.
Updated Gant chart to reflect progress to date.